I am a professor of ethnomusicology at the University of Cologne and former Associate Professor at the University of Alberta, Canada. I hold a PhD and an MMus in ethnomusicology from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and a Laurea in Oriental Studies from the University of Bologna. At SONACT, I am involved in various capacities in the projects “Sounding Memories: Nazi Persecution and Anti-Nazi Resistance in the Music of Contemporary Germany”; “Das Instrumentenmuseum der Kölner Musikwissenschaft im Netzwerk der NS-Zeit”; and “Antifascist Legacies: Musical Memorializations of the WWII Resistenza in Contemporary Italy.”
Music and politics; music and memory; auditory cultures and architecture; ethnographic and documentary filmmaking.
Main research areas
Central Asia; Iran and the Caucasus; Italy and the Mediterranean; former Yugoslavia and former Soviet Union.
ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Italy: Modern and Contemporary Performance Practice.” In Janet L. Sturman (ed.) Sage Encyclopedia of Music and Culture, forthcoming.
- “The Enemy – A Partisan Hymnbook: Critical Notes on Memory, Music, and the Making of a Documentary Film.” In Amra Bosnić and Naida Hukić (eds.) Music in Society: The Collection of Papers. The 10th International Symposium “Music in Society”, Sarajevo, October 20-22.2016. Sarajevo: Musicological Society of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina; Academy of Music, University of Sarajevo, 2018, pp. 217-245.
- “Passaggi di memoria: “Fischia il vento” e la sua eredità nelle canzoni.” Studi e ricerche di storia contemporanea. Rassegna dell’Istituto bergamasco per la storia della Resistenza e dell’età contemporanea, 90, 2018, pp. 67-100.
- “Of Mirrors and Frames: Music, Sound, and Architecture at the Iranian Zurkhâneh.” In Michael Frishkopf and Federico Spinetti (eds.) Music, Sound, and Architecture in Islam. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2018.
- “Introduction: Music, Sound, and Architecture in Islam.” In Michael Frishkopf and Federico Spinetti (eds.) Music, Sound, and Architecture in Islam. Austin: University of Texas Press. Co-authored with Michael Frishkopf, 2018.
- “Choreographing the Self: Staged Folklore and Popular Music in Rural Tajikistan.” Ethnomusicology Ireland, 5, 2017, pp. 75-100.
- “Tradition-based Popular Music in Contemporary Tajikistan.” In Theodore Levin, Saida Daukeyeva and Elmira Köchümkulova (eds.) The Music of Central Asia. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2016, pp. 586-595.
- “An Analysis of the Uyghur On Ikki Muqam: Aspects of Melody and Form in the Segah Suite.” Mousiké, International Journal of Ethnomusicological Studies, 2010, pp. 113-144. Co-authored with Eleni Kallimopoulou.
- “Introduzione: Traiettorie fra Italia e Turchia in musica e in etno/musicologia.” [Introduction: Tracing relationships between Italy and Turkey in music and ethno / musicology.] In Federico Spinetti (ed.) Giuseppe Donizetti Pascià: Traiettorie musicali e storiche tra Italia e Turchia / Giuseppe Donizetti Pasha: Musical and historical trajectories between Italy and Turkey. Bergamo: Fondazione Donizetti, 2010, pp. xiii-liii.
- “Music, Politics, and Nation Building in Post-Soviet Tajikistan.” In Laudan Nooshin (ed.) Music and the Play of Power in the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia. London: Ashgate, 2009, pp. 115-142.
- “Open Borders. Tradition and Tajik Popular Music: Questions of Aesthetics, Identity and Political Economy.” Ethnomusicology Forum, 14/2, 2005, pp. 185-211.
- Music, Sound, and Architecture in Islam. Edited by Michael Frishkopf and Federico Spinetti. Austin: University of Texas Press, 2018.
- Giuseppe Donizetti Pascià: Traiettorie musicali e storiche tra Italia e Turchia / Giuseppe Donizetti Pasha: Musical and historical trajectories between Italy and Turkey. Edited by Federico Spinetti. Bergamo: Fondazione Donizetti, 2010.
- Il Nemico – Un breviario partigiano (The Enemy – A Partisan Hymnbook) A documentary film by Federico Spinetti. Lab 80 Film and Universal Music Italy. 80 min. HD colour, 2015.
- And the Mountains Float Up like Feathers. A documentary film by Federico Spinetti. Lab 80 Film. 18 min. HD colour, 2013.
- Zurkhâneh – The House of Strength: Music and Martial Arts of Iran. A documentary film by Federico Spinetti.University of Alberta and Lab 80 Film. 105 min. HD colour, 2010 [DVD edition published in 2014].
- Wedding [Music and community life in rural Tajikistan]. A documentary film by Federico Spinetti. 14 min. DV colour, 2005.
- People’s Music of Tajikistan. Recordings, compilation and liner notes by Federico Spinetti. Tehran: Mahoor Institute of Culture and Art, 2011.
- Falak: the Voice of Destiny. Traditional, popular and symphonic music of Tajikistan. 2CD set. Recordings, compilation and liner notes by Federico Spinetti. London: British Library Sound Archive & Topic Records, 2006.